Sunday, September 13, 2015

Soaker Hose Fabulousness

I have been a vegetable gardener in my humble suburban lot for nine growing seasons, and I’m just now discovering the wonder of soaker hoses. It’s embarrassing to give the reason. By chance, I planted a banana pepper bush in the exact spot where the sump pump drains during a heavy rainfall, and the crop of peppers has been phenomenal.

All these years I have been under-watering my poor vegetables! I could rationalize my ignorance by noting that Silver Spring Maryland is lushly green, and that I always harvested enough the last five seasons to fill three shelves of our vegetable freezer. I conscientiously used rain barrel water to soak everything that seemed to need it.  Also, over watering is evil. But the pepper plant spoke to me, so I purchased enough Gilmour flat soaker hoses to cover all of my back yard beds: 375 feet of “gentle, even and efficient watering,” as stated on the label.

This is an eccentric and inefficient task for September, as all the hoses need to be drained and put away before a hard frost. But note: there are cover crops of winter rye and legumes planted for soil enrichment. Kale, collards, beets, turnips and Jerusalem artichokes will be harvested until cold weather. Anyway, it’s been in the 90’s this week, and I need those hoses now!

After laying the hoses, there was such a surge in the growth of turnips and kale that the first harvest is imminent. It was fun to put the hoses down, trying to figure out the configuration.  It was even more fun to turn the spigot a quarter turn, and watch the beads of water spread foot by foot. Here’s a map of most of the hoses--couldn't get it upright on the blog---sorry!

This brings up an important point about gardening for me: every task is equally interesting and absorbing. Interesting and absorbing equals calming; calming equals happiness. The humble and ordinary soaker hose caused me to ascend to delight.

I got my happiness, then it rained 7/10 of an inch last night: gentle, even, and efficient watering.

 Here are some pictures from after the rain
The banana pepper with white sump hose pipe behind.

75' soaker hose, view 1: good view of the cover crops in the foreground.
Two 50' soaker hoses: collards, broccoli, and cover crops from front to back.
75' soaker hose, view 2: turnips, cover crops. The bed in the middle was just seeded.












2 comments:

Passante said...

Comment problem solved. I have to use Chrome not Firefox to view your blog. Is Google planning to take over the world that it won't allow anything but its own browser?

Anyway I used a soaker hose on my far more humble plot in Fairlington. I think it is a more efficient and ecologically responsible way to water than spraying water all over the place, AND of course it's much less work!

Doree Huneven said...

Thank you for your comment. Let's see if browsers other than Chrome can be used in the future.